Sunday, March 25, 2012

Day Six Post Op

(Tickets to the Spaghetti supper are available at the West End Grill on Rockdale Ave in New Bedford or you can contact Pam Richard on Facebook or by calling 774-202-7041. Thanks, guys!!)

Well, it was a pretty quiet night. I spent time with Addison. (She is sleeping at Tim's dad's house in Brockton so she isn't too far away from me!) Tim slept here last night. It was nice not to be alone. We had quite a bit of visitors yesterday, and I am expecting the same today. They are going to re-tape his breathing tube and then remove the last draining tube. When he wakes up, they will do what is called sprints. They turn the ventilator pressure down and allow him to really breathe on his own for about an hour, and then they let him rest for an hour and turn the ventilator pressure up a little. They will keep doing this until tomorrow so he will be prepared when they remove the breathing tube.
He is doing awesome today! At rounds, they said he could probably be extubated today, but they'll wait until tomorrow. He is completely off of the morphine, and they are spacing his methadone and ativan further apart. He is doing very well. His heart rate is still very low, (!35-140s), and he is doing pretty much all of his breathing on his own. He has been opening his eyes more and more. :) It's great to see him with his eyes open and responsive although when I talk to him, he can't find my voice. He looks everywhere. There is less and less machinery around him each day. I still can't believe that this is happening to us. It STILL seems surreal. I just want him to be 100% better. As a mother, it is the hardest thing to see. When Charlie was circumsized, I cried. I felt awful that he was in pain. Now the comparison of him being circumsized to him having open heart surgery; it's just crazy. I wish I could hold him and rock him. This is all so very hard to handle, but I am trying my hardest to keep hope, especially since each day, he does better and better. My son is the toughest person I know, and he is only 3 months old!! Although he won't remember any of this, I will, and it will NEVER leave me. You learn a new appreciaton for life and for family when something like this happens, and that is exactly what happened. I am so thankful for my son and my daughter and Timithy and everyone who has been amazing and supportive and insanely helpful through this all. You never expect a reaction this monumental from people you don't even know, but it truly is phenomenal. I want to thank everyone - our family and friends, all of those who are coming to the spaghetti supper and those who donated to the Charlie Gonneville Medical Fund, all the nurses and doctors. There is so much gratitude in my heart; words couldn't describe.
They removed the last of his drain tubes. All he has left is the pacing wires to his heart and the breathing tube. Oh, and the "A" line and the intrajugular IV that they are hoping to take out today. The "A" line and pacing wires will stay in until right before we leave the hospital. He is doing amazing today! He was WIDE AWAKE before, staring at Tim and I, wiggling all around. It was amazing!!! He tired himself out though. They put him back on the morphine drip for a little so they could remove the drain tube and fix his breathing tube. Once the morphine is worn away, they will start weaning him down on the methadone and ativan. They are also weaning him down on the lasix because he is doing so well. :D

Charlie did AWESOME with his first sprint. He did TWO HOURS before he started getting tired. They will let him rest for two hours now and then start another sprint. They will probably do this another two or three times overnight, and first thing in the morning, they will do an echocardiogram and make sure his heart can tolerate being off of the ventilator. (They said his gases came back perfect. That means during sprints and while on the ventilator, Charlie is doing just as much work and doing awesome!!) After the echo, they will let him fight the breathing tube and then take it out. They said 24-48 hours after the tube is removed, he will be moved out of the ICU!!!! :D :D :D They will wean him off of the heparin, epinephrine, methadone, and ativan, and they will introduce the captopril, adjust his lasix, and add aspirin. When his meds are at a good level, and he is eating again, they will let us go home. They are saying maybe two weeks. That is awesome. My little boy is such a fighter. He is doing so well!!!
My sister said the Revival Tour shared my blog. I just wanted to say thank you for sharing Charlie's story. It means a lot. :)
I also want to thank Tim's mother, her girlfriend, my sister, and everyone else helping out with Charlie's spaghetti supper and his donation fund. It's something that I couldn't even think to deal with right now, and knowing that everyone else is lending a hand to make things easier, it is truly amazing. <3 Thank you everyone!
Little man watching The Wizard of Oz. I spoil him and let him watch TV. lol

A painting in the hallway that I just noticed today

4 comments:

  1. Dear Brooke, I have said it before & I will say it again, I have never seen a woman show such love & devotion to her children as you have. I know there are many more of you out there but you are special because you are one of "US!" You are part of our family. I have so enjoyed reading this blog you have created for Charles. You are amazing! How you can go through all of this traumatic experience & still take the time, with that wonderful heart of yours, to thank everyone for the largest "GIFT OF LIFE" they've bestowed on Charles to the smallest kindnesses they've shone to you. You had a terrific idea when you began this memoire of this little angels' "JOURNEY" back to a healthy life. Little did you realize this would become a way to update those of us who cannot go to the hospital to see Charles but still keep us informed of his daily successes with pictures etc. but it has become so much more. It has become a way for you to vent, to keep your sanity & to hopefully help other parents who are or will be going through this same situation. A way to see that what they might be feeling is normal for their situation. Brooke, I would not want to be in your shoes. I truly believe they would be too tight for me & I can't help but say it again & again, "YOU ARE TRULY AMAZING!" I am so proud of you, Tim & Addison, for she is going through so much also, confused & wondering why you are not all together under the same roof. I hope some day you will get to publish Charles' story. I know I look forward to reading this blog every day. Your words have brought me to tears more that once, believe me. I read this to Pepere every day also. We love that little guy so much. We love all our grandchildren & great grandchildren. They are all mine too, if only by proxy. I will continue to pray for you & Charles. With all the love he has from so many how could God not make him well again. Keep writing your feelings both good & bad. Let it out when you need to & know that we all have your back. By the way, if noone has bought you that jacket you like, I would like to buy it for you OK? Let Tim's dad know if you haven't got it OK? We love you. Take care & God bless. BTW, tell Tim if ever he is short on gas or food $ to let me know & I'll take care of it. God bless. Will talk again soon. Love, Grandma Lue (((XXX)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Came across your blog via a link from The Revival Tour and we would like wish you, your family and your fantastic little fighter Charlie all the very best! So happy how he is coming on! What a little trooper! Stay strong, all of you, sending all our thoughts and good wishes from England, Bill Gilbert and family xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much, Bill. It really amazes me that SO many people have been reading this blog. I never thought it would catch the interest of so many people. I was more interested in having a way to keep track of Charlie's progress and keeping my mind straight while trying to be strong for him. It means a lot to me that you took the time to read about my little boy and leave your best wishes with us. Thank you so much!!

    ReplyDelete